The Victim Service Division (VSD) provides a variety of services to victims of crime in St. Louis County. Focal services include supportive counseling and crisis intervention, information on criminal and juvenile court procedures, and referral to many community and state resources. VSD staff and volunteer advocates assist with orders of protection, victim impact statements and crime victim compensation forms. Advocates accompany victims to hearings/trials and offer the use of two victim/witness waiting rooms in the Courts Building.
Community education and technical assistance is available to organizations interested in victim rights, victim services and other crime-related topics.
MISSOURI CRIME VICTIMS CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT GUARANTEES THAT AS CRIME VICTIM, YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO...
- Information on case status, criminal justice systems, the role/rights of victims
- Information about police and court procedures
- State Victim's Compensation assistance
- Assistance with Victim Impact statements
- Emotional support, court accompaniment, victim advocacy
- Referrals for psychological counseling, social service agencies, financial assistance
- Adult Abuse assistance
VICTIM ASSISTANCE RESOURCES
- Be present at all criminal justice proceedings which defendant attends, including juvenile proceedings (if offense would be felony)
- Be informed of and heard at guilty pleas, sentencing, bail hearings, probation revocations, prole hearings
- Be informed of trials and preliminary hearings
- Speedy disposition and appellate review of case
- Reasonable protection from defendant
- Information about escape or release of accused
- Information about criminal justice process
Missouri Crime Victim's Compensation Program: if you are victim of violent crime and suffer physical injury, or the family member or dependent of a deceased victim, you may be eligible for compensation for medical and counseling costs, lost wages, funeral expenses, etc. Property losses are not covered. Call (573) 526-6006 or 1-800-347-6881 (toll free).
St. Louis Circuit Attorney's Office Victim Services (St. Louis City): 622-4373
St. Charles Victim of Crime Assistance Program: (636) 949-7370BATTERED WOMEN'S SHELTERS
|Bridgeway Women's Center
||(636) 946-6854 |
|Women's Safe House
|St. Martha's Hall
|Women's Crisis Center
||(618) 235-0892 - Belleville |
||(618) 465-1978 - Alton |
(618) 451-1008 - Granite City
*For additional counseling referrals or social service agencies, call Victim Services Division at: (314) 615-4872.